Freshly hatched turkeys, called poults, require extra care and attention. Poults are dependent on their caretakers and the environment around them. Their bodies are not mature enough to regulate things like their internal temperature on their own in the first few days of life.
Close attention to their behaviour will help you understand if they are comfortable or not. Tracking their growth and feed intake milestones will help identify if they are getting enough of what they require for success or if changes are required.
Click on the resources below to learn more about ensuring the success of your flock during the brooding phase.
Are you unsure how your birds should act in the first days of placement? Watch the video below to see an example of good activity levels.
- Aggressive behaviour and the role of nutrition
- Brooding Essentials
- Critical Control Points During Brooding
- Performance Goals - Converter Commercial KGS
- Performance Goals - Converter Commercial LBS
- Performance Goals - Grade Maker Commercial KGS
- Performance Goals - Optima Commercial KGS
- Performance Goals - XL Commercial KGS
- Poult Placement Poster
- Poult Temperature Management